The Ladies' Boots and Shoes Department on the third floor of Bayne & Duckett's boot and shoe warehouse at the corner of Brunswick Street and Wilson Street, from a booklet issued by the firm to mark its opening in 1928. The sample room displayed shoes in a wide variety of sizes, heels and shades.
The booklet makes an interesting comment regarding the importance of the firm's female customers: "There is no doubt that the increased prosperity of the shoe trade dates from the advent of the short skirt. Every woman must be well shod, and B & D are doing their best to shoe as many as possible." Despite this, there is not a single woman among the eighteen directors and managers whose portraits appear in the booklet, although it is clear that the firm did employ female staff throughout the building. The buyer for ladies' goods was a Mr William Sinclair.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 685.31 BAY
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bayne & Duckett, boot & shoe makers, boot & shoe retailers, boot makers, boots, footwear, heels, Ladies' Boots and Shoes Department, shoe boxes, shoe makers, shoes, warehouses, women's hats, women, fashions