A photograph of Bayne & Duckett’s boot and shoe warehouse at the corner of Brunswick Street and Wilson Street, from a booklet issued by the firm to commemorate its opening in 1928. The six-storey building's steel framework was faced with red sandstone and had a floor space of 25,000 square feet. It was the fourth extension added to the original warehouse (which appears on the right).
Bayne & Duckett was founded in 1858 by Edinburgh shoe maker Christopher Bayne and Northamptonshire boot maker William Duckett, who decided to set up a joint venture in Glasgow. The business prospered by catering for a demand for a greater variety of footwear, through the use of commercial travellers and the opening of branch shops. By 1936, when a limited company was formed, there were thirty-five Bayne & Duckett shops in Scotland and England, and wholesale turnover had increased thirty-fold since 1888.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 685.31 BAY
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bayne & Duckett, boot & shoe makers, boot & shoe retailers, boot makers, boots, commercial travellers, footwear, sandstone, shoe makers, shoe shops, shoes, warehouses