The George Street factory of tobacco merchants F & J Smith, photographed in 1901. The building was used for the manufacture of cigarettes, and administration. The firm owned another factory in nearby North Albion Street, where the tobacco factories and warehouses were located. The premises were linked by a subway.
The firm of F & J Smith was founded by brothers Finlay and John Smith in 1858. The company was one of thirteen leading British tobacco firms which united in 1901 to form the Imperial Tobacco Co to resist an attempt by a powerful association of American tobacco manufacturers to capture the British market. The firm continued to produce tobacco under its own name until it merged with Stephen Mitchell & Sons in 1932. Mitchells amalgamated with W D & H O Wills in 1957.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 679.7 BAR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
cigarettes, F & J Smith, Imperial Tobacco Company, Stephen Mitchell & Sons, subways, tobacco, tobacco manufacturers, tobacco merchants, W D & H O Wills