This view of Scotstoun Mills from the River Kelvin in 1897 appeared in a souvenir brochure issued by John White & Sons to commemorate the opening of the rebuilt mills in January 1911. The photograph shows the flour and grain mills as they appeared before they were destroyed by fire in February 1909.
The mills were built in 1877 on the site of the Waulk Mill, which was built in 1507 for the preparation of cloth. In 1711 the mill was acquired by William Walkinshaw of Scotstoun, who renamed it Scotstoun Mills and began the milling of corn. John White acquired the mills in 1834 and four generations of the family business of John White & Sons remained in control for over a century. The son and grandson of the founder, both also named John White, each served a term as provost of Partick.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 679 WHI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
corn, fires, flour mills, grain mills, John White & Sons, provosts, River Kelvin, Scotstoun Mills, textile mills, Waulk Mill, waulk mills