The front cover of a souvenir brochure issued by John White & Sons to commemorate the opening of the rebuilt Scotstoun Mills on the west bank of the Kelvin in January 1911. It shows a view of the new flour and grain mills from the west. The coat of arms illustrated is that of the Burgh of Partick, which was incorporated into Glasgow in 1912.
The mills had been completely destroyed by fire in February 1909. Plans were quickly made to rebuild the mills. The architects were J W & J Laird, and the builders James Goldie & Sons, both of Glasgow. Henry Simon of Manchester supplied the machinery and the new flour mills could produce twenty-five sacks of flour per hour.
Scotstoun Mills were acquired by Spillers in 1933. They subsequently became part of the Rank Hovis group and are still in operation today, having been renamed Glasgow Mill.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC679 WHI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
brochures, Burgh of Partick, coats of arms, flour mills, Glasgow Mill, grain mills, Henry Simon, J W & J Laird, James Goldie & Sons, John White & Sons, Rank Hovis, River Kelvin, Scotstoun Mills, Spillers