This postcard from around 1904 illustrates the view looking west from the railway bridge over Dumbarton Road. In the foreground, workmen are carrying out repairs to tramlines at the corner of Hayburn Street, leading to Partick tram depot. The draper's shop on the corner owned by John Muir was later taken over by D M Hoey, the gents' outfitters, who continue to occupy the premises at the beginning of the 21st century.
On the opposite side of Dumbarton Road are the Thomlinson shops. William Thomlinson owned the Greenbank Leather Works, which produced the famous Thomlinson "T" football, the most famous make of football in Britain before the advent of the modern ball made of stitched hexagons and pentagons. His brother John had a stationer's business at the Stanley Works behind it in Norval Street. John Thomlinson Ltd continued trading in the printing and packaging business until 1999.
Today the view extends only as far as the approach roads to the Clyde Tunnel.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
box makers, bridges, Clyde Tunnel, D M Hoey, drapers, footballs, gents' outfitters, Greenbank Leather Works, horses and carts, John Thomlinson Ltd, packaging, postcards, printing, shops, Stanley Works, stationers, streetscenes, tailors, Thomlinson "T" football, tram depots, tramlines, tramways