This postcard, which dates from around 1900, does not appear designed to attract tourists but does give an accurate picture of Glasgow's city centre at the beginning of the 20th century. The foreground shows the area behind the tenements on the west side of High Street, looking south past the junction with Duke Street towards Glasgow Cross. The Tolbooth Steeple can just be distinguised in the background, left, while in the top right corner is the Ramshorn Kirk on Ingram Street.
The thick smoke in High Street was probably produced by railway engines working at the High Street Goods Yard, on the south side of Duke Street. The site was acquired from the University of Glasgow by the City of Glasgow Union Railway in the 1870s, when the University moved to Gilmorehill.
A copy of the original photograph is also available to view on this website.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
aerial views, City of Glasgow Union Railway Co, College Station, Glasgow Cross, goods yards, High Street Goods Yard, High Street Station, Old College, overcrowding, postcards, railways, Ramshorn Kirk, slums, St David's Church, steeples, tenements, Tolbooth Steeple, University of Glasgow