A postcard view of Sauchiehall Street at Charing Cross in 1903. An electric tram is passing the Cameron Memorial Fountain. On the left is the Grand Hotel, while the red sandstone building in the background is Charing Cross Mansions.
The Grand Hotel was regarded as one of the Glasgow's leading hotels for many years, and was a favourite venue for weddings. It was demolished in the 1960s, along with the building opposite, to make way for the M8 motorway.
Sculptor George Tinworth created the Cameron Memorial Fountain in 1896 in honour of Sir Charles Cameron, the newspaper owner-editor and Liberal politician. The original clock shown here was replaced in 1908. Like Charing Cross Mansions, the fountain has survived (although listing to one side) into the 21st century.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Cameron Memorial Fountain, Charing Cross Mansions, clocks, electric trams, fountains, Grand Hotel, hotels, lamp posts, Liberal Party, M8 Motorway, motorways, newspaper editors, newspaper proprietors, newspaper publishers, newspapers, North British Daily Mail, politicians, street lighting, weddings