Solid sandstone tenement housing is illustrated in this postcard of Cambridge Drive, North Kelvinside, thought to date from around 1920. There is a steep slope on the street, which is not immediately apparent from the photograph. The name of the street was subsequently changed to Fergus Drive.
As well as housing, Fergus Drive now has a number of properties which are used as offices, one of which is the Glasgow office of Sanctuary Scotland. This subsidiary of Sanctuary Housing Association provides rented housing in Scotland and currently has almost 2,000 homes. It was formed in 1969 and was formally registered as a housing association in Scotland in 1998, and is a registered charity. The activities of Sanctuary Scotland in Glasgow are focused on the Greater Pollok area, where a variety or housing for rent is provided. A number of supported housing projects for tenants with a range of needs are also provided in the Glasgow area.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
charities, housing associations, postcards, Sanctuary Housing Association, Sanctuary Scotland, tenements