Children are happy to pose for this photograph reproduced in a postcard of Busby Road, Carmunnock, taken c 1900.
The signpost on the right is one of the distinctive features of the village, as described in a local history: "... nice old wooden road-signs at lower Pathhead Road (Wellside) and at Windlaw Road were taken down and neatly painted metal ones, the sign on Wellside now "Kirk Road", went up in their place. But happily, to this day four fork-signs on black and white striped poles with the traditional black-gloved hand and pointing finger, still stand at road junctions in the village, namely at the crossroads, at the foot of Cathkin Road, Kittochside Road and at Hillcrest."
Carmunnock, which once belonged to the Castlemilk estate, is the only rural village within the city boundaries today.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Castlemilk estate, children, signposts, villages