A postcard view of Buchanan Street, looking north from the junction with Argyle Street, in the early years of the 20th century.
Buchanan Street was first feued in 1777 and was named after a wealthy tobacco merchant, Andrew Buchanan of Buchanan, Hastie, & Co. He was proprietor of the ground on which it was formed as far north as Gordon Street.
Buchanan Street is one of the main shopping streets of Glasgow, running north/south in the city centre to link Argyle Street and Sauchiehall Street. A successful Victorian shopping centre, it was one of the few main streets in Glasgow to remain free of trams, although motor cars were allowed. At its southern end is St Enoch Square, the St Enoch Underground Station and St Enoch Shopping Centre, while to the north lies the Buchanan Galleries Shopping Centre and Buchanan Street Underground Station. It was pedestrianised in 1978 and landscaped in 2000.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Buchanan Galleries Shopping Centre, Buchanan Street Underground Station, Buchanan, Hastie, & Co, horses and carriages, horses and carts, pedestrianisation, postcards, shopping, shops, St Enoch Centre, St Enoch Square, St Enoch Underground Station, stations, Tobacco Lords, tobacco merchants