A postcard view of Balshagray Avenue looking north, 1904. On the left is Victoria Park United Free Church. This area was transformed in the 1960s by the construction of approach roads to the Clyde Tunnel. The church and houses opposite were demolished and Balshagray Avenue was widened into a dual carriageway at its southern end.
Designed by William Leiper, Victoria Park United Free Church opened as Victoria Park United Presbyterian Church in 1877. At the union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church in 1929 it became attached to the Church of Scotland.
The church was home to the 159th Company, Boys Brigade and its Lifeboys and Shipmates, and also to Guides and Brownies. A replacement church was built in Broomhill Drive, but the new building barely lasted twenty-five years before it became cheaper to demolish than to repair. Victoria Park Church was then amalgamated with one at Broomhill Cross.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
159th Company, Boys Brigade, BB, Brownies, Church of Scotland, churches, Girl Guides, Lifeboys, postcards, Shipmates, United Free Church of Scotland, United Presbyterian Church, Victoria Park United Free Church