Late Victorian villas on Anniesland Road, Scotstounhill, from an early 20th century postcard.
Running south-west from Anniesland Cross to connect with Dumbarton Road, Anniesland Road has always been an area popular with commuters, particularly following the opening of Scotstounhill station on the Glasgow, Yoker & Clydebank Railway (later acquired by the North British Railway Co) in 1887. Later developments have resulted in a wide mix of types of housing in the area, including multi-story tower blocks on Scotstoun Hill, where Scotstoun House once stood.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Glasgow, Yoker & Clydebank Railway Co, houses, North British Railway Co, postcards, railway stations, Scotstoun House, suburban commuters, suburbs