A postcard view of Airlie Street, Hyndland, from the corner of Turnberry Road, 1908. The close on the left with yellow tiles belongs to 88 Turnberry Road (which was known as Minard Road until 1912). Nos 1-11 Airlie Street stretch beyond towards Clarence Drive. The railings in this part of the block are relatively plain. Airlie Street was later widened by removing part of the garden at the right.
Houses at the northern end of Airlie Street were designed by the architect John McKellar, who was also responsible for most of the properties in Clarence Drive, Queensborough Gardens, Polwarth Street, Lauderdale Gardens and Falkland Street. He encouraged tenants to buy their own homes with a deposit and quarterly payments - unheard of in Scotland at the time.
Electoral rolls indicate that a large number of residents of the area were engineers and draughtsmen, probably working in local shipyards.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
draughtsmen, engineers, parks, postcards, railings, shipbuilding, shipyard workers, tenements