A postcard from around 1930 showing shops and houses on Alderman Road, Knightswood.
Alderman Road is one of the main arteries running from east to west in Knightswood, the largest housing scheme built by Glasgow Corporation in the years between the wars, with over 6,000 houses. The land was bought from the Summerlee Iron Co in 1921.
The photograph gives an indication as to why the housing scheme was regarded as a success. The houses are limited to two storeys, with gardens. The road is broad and well lit. Shops and a landscaped area break up the monotony of the houses. Knightswood Community Centre at 201 Alderman Road provides a focus for community activities.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
gardens, Glasgow Corporation, houses, housing estates, housing schemes, Knightswood Community Centre, postcards, shops, Summerlee Iron Co