Talbot Terrace, Scotstounhill, is pictured in this postcard from c 1910. In the distance, to the east, can be seen the shop attached to Scotstounhill railway station on the other side of Anniesland Road. The trees on the right camouflage a railway cutting carrying the North British Railway line running from the city to Balloch and Helensburgh.
The late-Victorian terraced houses provided homes for suburban commuters, following the opening of Scotstounhill station in 1887. The rural tranquillity of the scene was disturbed when Glasgow Corporation acquired land in the vicinity, building semi-detached houses between the wars and multi-storey tower blocks in the 1960s.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Glasgow Corporation, North British Railway Co, postcards, railway stations, suburban commuters, terraced houses, tower blocks