A postcard showing a well-attended cricket match at the West of Scotland Cricket Club's ground at Hamilton Crescent in Partick, c 1910.
The club was founded in 1862 by local businessmen and players from the Clutha Cricket Club, who had been using the northern part of Hamilton Crescent for matches. Members envisaged West becoming the MCC of Scotland. All-England Elevens were invited to play at Hamilton Crescent, and the first Australian cricket team to visit Scotland played there in 1878. In 1891, a team led by the legendary Dr W G Grace beat West by an innings and 33 runs.
Hamilton Crescent hosted the first Scotland v England football international in 1872, which resulted in a 0-0 draw. The Club received the sum of £1.10s (£1.50) for the hire of the ground. The following two home fixtures against England were also staged there, in 1874 and 1876, when Scotland won 2-1 and 3-0 respectively.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
All-England Elevens, Australians, Clutha Cricket Club, cricket, cricketers, football, international matches, Marylebone Cricket Club, MCC, Scotland v England, West of Scotland Cricket Club