A postcard view of Kinning Park public baths, West Scotland Street, in 1905.
The baths were opened in 1902 by the burgh of Kinning Park. Responsibilty for the care of the baths passed to Glasgow Corporation in 1905 when the city annexed the small neighbour. In 1914 it was recorded that the facilities consisted of a swimming pool measuring 75 feet by 37 feet and twenty-two private baths for men and seven for women. There were thirty-four washing stalls in the wash-house. The building and equipment were valued at £15,980, placing Kinning Park in the middle range of the twenty public baths run by the Corporation at the time.
The building was demolished in the 1970s, to make way for the M8 motorway.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
baths, Glasgow Corporation, M8 Motorway, motorways, postcards, steamies, swimming pools, wash-houses