A postcard view of Thomson Street School in Bellgrove in the early years of the 20th century.
Designed by James Thomson of Baird & Thomson for Glasgow School Board, Thomson Street School opened at the corner of Reidvale Street in 1875. Fees were set at 3/6d to 4/6d per month [17.5p - 22.5p], around four times the level of other schools in the area. The result was that most pupils came from nearby Dennistoun, a relatively prosperous area at the time.
In 1885 pupils at Thomson Street School won no less than twenty-six bursaries towards the cost of secondary education, sparking off a debate about whether they would have to transfer elsewhere or have secondary education provided at Thomson Street. Eventually the schools inspector ruled in the school's favour, and it was chosen as one of thirteen schools in Glasgow selected for "the efficient instruction of the School Bursars in the Higher Branches."
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Baird & Thomson, bursaries, Glasgow School Board, primary schools, school bursars, secondary schools, Thomson Street School