This postcard shows Pollokshields Public School at 11 Melville Street, in the early years of the 20th century.
Built for Govan School Board, the school opened in 1879 in what was at the time a rapidly expanding suburb. The building proved inadequate for the numbers of children in the area, and in 1882 a sister school was opened nearby as Albert Road Public School. The two schools provided similar elementary education, but secondary education was concentrated in what became known as Albert Road Academy. In 1926, the schools combined when Pollokshields Public School became the Primary Department of Albert Road Academy. The latter was subsequently renamed Pollokshields Senior Secondary School.
With the removal of secondary pupils to Bellahouston Academy in 1962, the two schools became Pollokshields Primary School. As many families of Asian origin moved into the area, the school adapted to changing class composition. In 1981-1982 it was recorded that of 520 pupils, 70 per cent had a first language other than English.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Albert Road Academy, Albert Road Public School, Asians, Bellahouston Academy, Govan School Board, Pollokshields Primary School, Pollokshields Public School, Pollokshields Senior Secondary School, postcards, primary schools, secondary schools