This postcard shows Bellahouston Academy at 425 Paisley Road West in the early years of the 20th century. The attics once contained dormitories. To the west (on the right) is the Pupil Teachers' Institute opened in 1899.
Bellahouston Academy was established in 1876 by Alexander Sim as shareholder and first rector. He was regarded as being ahead of his time in his provision of educational facilities. Originally built as a private school, it was not a financial success and was eventually taken over by Govan School Board in 1885. The Board added a swimming pool, one of the first in Scotland. The school came under Glasgow Education Authority in 1919.
The building became inadequate to meet the needs of an increasing number of pupils and in 1962 a new school was opened in Gower Terrace. However, increasing pupil numbers led to the old building being reopened in 1973 as a annexe.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
academies, attics, Bellahouston Academy, dormitories, education, Glasgow Education Authority, Govan School Board, postcards, Pupil Teachers' Institute, schools, swimming pools