A postcard from around 1922 showing the Winter Gardens at Springburn Park.
Glasgow Corporation acquired the land for Springburn Park in 1892. The area contained largely indifferent agricultural land with the remains of an ironstone pit at one corner and an old quarry at the other. The original park was extended in 1900 through the benevolence of Hugh Reid of the North British Locomotive Company, who purchased part of the nearby lands of Cockmuir and gifted them to the city.
The Winter Gardens were built by Glasgow Corporation as a condition for accepting a £12,000 gift from Hugh Reid to finance the construction of the nearby Springburn Public Halls. They were much loved by generations of Springburn residents for their displays of exotic plants and for the concerts and exhibitions held there. Despite being classified as an A-Listed building the structure has been vandalised and lain derelict since the 1980s.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
children, Cockmuir, concerts, exhibitions, Glasgow Corporation, ironstone pits, listed buildings, North British Locomotive Co, parks, plants, postcards, Springburn Park, Springburn Public Halls, winter gardens