This postcard of 1905 shows the viewing platform at the Fossil Grove in Victoria Park, Whiteinch. The site was covered over to provide protection from the elements and from vandals.
The Fossil Grove contains the remains of a prehistoric rain forest. It was uncovered by accident during the construction of a pathway through a disused quarry at the western end of the park. Local antiquarian Thomas Morison was credited with recognising the significance of the discovery before any damage was done.
The ground for Victoria Park was given to the Burgh of Partick by Gordon Oswald of Scotstoun, and opened in 1887 during Queen Victoria's Jubilee. The burgh was annexed by Glasgow in 1912. Today, Fossil Grove provides interpretative displays and the chance to examine geological specimens dating from 350 million years ago. It has been designated a site of Special Scientific Interest by Scottish Natural Heritage.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
children, forests, Fossil Grove, fossils, geology, parks, postcards, Scottish Natural Heritage, Special Scientific Interest, stumps, trees, Victoria Park, Whiteinch Park