This postcard, thought to date from around 1910, shows (left) the Whiteinch Homes at 19 Westland Drive. Beyond the block is the Glasgow Institution for Orphan and Destitute Girls.
The Whiteinch Homes were built around 1890 by the James Allan Trust in the style of English 17th century almshouses. They were intended originally for elderly employees of the Allan Shipping Line. In the 1980s the building was acquired by the Thomas Chalmers Housing Association, and reopened after refurbishment in 1989 as a care home for the elderly.
The Glasgow Institution for Orphan and Destitute Girls had fifty-three resident girls in 1904, rising to sixty-one in 1905. They attended the local school and received at least one year's training in the Home in every branch of housework, before they were found employment, usually in domestic service.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Allan Shipping Line, care homes for the elderly, domestic servants, domestic service, Glasgow Institution for Orphan and Destitute Girls, housing associations, James Allan Trust, old people's homes, old persons, orphanages, postcards, retirement homes, Thomas Chalmers Housing Association, Whiteinch Homes