A postcard view of Springburn Parish Church, Hillkirk Street, c 1922.
Springburn Parish Church was the last of twenty churches planned by the Church Building Society. It opened in 1842 to serve the areas of Springburn, Springvale and Provan. In 1898 there were 1,203 communicants and by 1907 that had increased to 2,020. In 1899 the building was enlarged by the addition of two new transepts.
At the time of the church union of 1929, the building became Springburn Hill Parish Church, then Springburn North Hill Parish Church following amalgamation with Springburn North in 1967. As the population of the area declined, further consolidation took place with the opening of a new Springburn Parish Church on Springburn Road in 1981, with eight constituent congregations. The church on Hillkirk Street was sold and demolished in 1982.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Church Building Society, Church of Scotland, churches, postcards, Springburn Hill Parish Church, Springburn North Hill Parish Church, Springburn Parish Church, transepts