The grey sandstone interior of Shettleston Parish Church is shown in this postcard dated 1907.
A church had existed on the site since 1752, but by the time John White came to the parish as minister in 1893 the building was in a very poor condition. White campaigned to raise money for a new church, appealing to the heritors of the parish to help. When some of them refused there followed a prolonged period of litigation. It ended in complete victory for White and the heritors were forced to pay for the new building. The new church was opened in 1903 in Church Road, which became Killin Street following the incorporation of Shettleston into Glasgow in 1912. The architect was W F McGibbon. At the union of 1929, the church was renamed Shettleston Old Parish Church.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Church of Scotland, churches, ministers, postcards, Shettleston Old Parish Church, Shettleston Parish Church