A postcard view of St Peter's Church (now St Simon's) in Bridge Street, Partick, c 1900. The priest's house is to the left and the end of the school building can be seen on the other side of the church.
The church was built in 1858 for the Roman Catholic Community of Partick. A house for the priest and a school were also constructed, however the school is no longer there. The church was known as St Peter's Church until 1903 when St Peter's Church in Hyndland Street was built and became the parish church for Catholics in Partick and the surrounding areas. The church then became known as Bridge Street Church until 1945 when it was renamed St Simon's.
During the war years 1940-1943 Polish soldiers marched to the church from Yorkhill Barracks for Mass every Sunday and it became known as the Polish Church. Many Poles who settled in Glasgow after the war continue to attend the church.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bridge Street Church, Poles, Polish Church, postcards, Roman Catholic churches, Second World War, St Peter's Church, St Simon's Church, Yorkhill Barracks