This postcard from c 1930 illustrates the Father Egger Memorial Altar in St Aloysius' Church in Rose Street, Garnethill.
The church was built in 1910 and was designed by Belgian architect Charles Menart. At the time of the consecration the interior was largely unfinished and it was not until 1927 that the marble cladding seen here was completed to the design of the Austrian architect Ernest Schaufelberg. The exterior is a late example of Renaissance style with Baroque influences but this belies the lavish interior with extensive use of marble, ornamental plaster and decoration. The building is in the care of the Society of Jesus.
Father Joseph Egger was a Swiss national who came to Glasgow after working in India and St Helens. He was well known as a philanthropist and tireless worker in the cause of social improvement. Organisations which benefitted from his energies included the Cowcaddens Civic League and the Homes Improvement Association.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
alters, Baroque, churches, Cowcaddens Civic League, Father Egger Memorial Altar, Homes Improvement Association, Jesuits, marble, philanthropists, postcards, priests, Renaissance, Roman Catholic churches, Society of Jesus, St Aloysius' Church