A postcard showing Ruchill Park in the early years of the 20th century.
In 1892 Glasgow Corporation acquired 53 acres of Ruchill Park along with adjacent land for the construction of Ruchill Hospital. The poor quality of the soil and its high, exposed situation was not ideal for a public park, but under the direction of Parks Superintendent James Whitton the area was transformed. The park's best known feature is the panoramic view of Glasgow and its surroundings which can be obtained from the top of the hill. This is topped by an artificial mound (with a flagpole) constructed from 24,000 cartloads of spoil from the site of Ruchill Hospital. It is known locally as "Ben Whitton".
Partick Thistle trained in the park under manager John Lambie. The players were required to run up and down Ben Whitton with car tyres tied round their waists. The tyres often got back first. Midfielder Chic Charnley was once attacked during training by sword-wielding assailants, but fought them off sustaining minor injuries and earning the nickname "Zorro."
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Ben Whitton, car tyres, flagpoles, football, football training, Glasgow Corporation, mounds, panoramas, parks, Partick Thistle FC, postcards, Ruchill Hospital, Ruchill Park