A postcard view of Newlands United Free Church at the corner of Langside Drive and Riverside Road, early 20th century. The River Cart is hidden by trees in the background.
Originally commissioned for the United Presbyterian Church in 1899, the building was designed by the architect H E Clifford and opened in 1903 as Newlands United Free Church. Built of Giffnock sandstone, it has impressive woodwork and Art Nouveau light fittings inside. At the time of the church union of 1929, it became Newlands South Church of the united Church of Scotland.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Church of Scotland, churches, Newlands South Church, Newlands United Free Church, postcards, United Free Church of Scotland, United Presbyterian Church