A postcard view of Drumchapel Parish Church at 102 Drumchapel Road, c 1925. In the foreground is the memorial to men of the parish killed in the First World War.
The parish of Drumchapel Old was set up in 1893, and was attached to New Kilpatrick until 1923. The first minister was John White, who was to have considerable influence on the Church of Scotland in the 1920s and 1930s as Moderator in 1925 and in 1929, and as convener of the Church and Nation Committee.
The building illustrated was erected in 1901. It served as a church until 1939 and is now used as a bakery. The new church building to which the congregation moved in 1939 was badly damaged during the Clydebank Blitz of 1941 but restored after the Second World War.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bakeries, Church and Nation Committee, Church of Scotland, churches, clergymen, Clydebank Blitz, convenors, Drumchapel Parish Church, First World War, ministers, moderators, postcards, Second World War, war memorials