This postcard of Carmunnock Parish Church was published in the early years of the 20th century. The cross outside the building marks the grave of a former minister, Alexander Storrie.
In early Christian times, St Cadoc used Bannawe (thought to be the site of present-day Carmunnock) as a base when converting the surrounding area to Christianity. The Parish Church has recorded its ministers from Reformation times - the site of the church dates back to the 12th century, when it belonged to Paisley Abbey.
The church building shown here was erected in 1767 and underwent extensive repairs in 1838. The west aisle is the burial aisle for the Stuarts of Castlemilk. Tombstones in the churchyard date back to 1744. In 1922, the disused Clason Free Church was acquired and became the Clason Hall.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Carmunnock Parish Church, cemeteries, Church of Scotland, churches, Clason Free Church, Clason Hall, graveyards, Paisley Abbey, postcards, Stuarts of Castlemilk, tombstones