This postcard shows Cathcart Castle as it was in 1913. The adjacent cottages were demolished by Glasgow Corporation in 1927.
Thought to date from the 14th century, Cathcart Castle was built in a strong position on a hill overlooking the River Cart. The family home of the Earls of Cathcart, it was originally a five storey rectangular keep, but by the mid-18th century it had deteriorated to the point where it was uninhabitable. Many of its stones were plundered to be used in other buildings.
In 1927 the castle was taken into the tender care of Glasgow Corporation. Discussions on possible restoration came to nothing and in the 1950s it was closed to the public on safety grounds. Despite local opposition, Cathcart Castle was finally demolished in 1980.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
castles, Cathcart Castle, cottages, Glasgow Corporation, keeps, postcards, River Cart