A postcard view of the extravagant Victorian Gothic Christian Institute at 64-100 Bothwell Street, 1911. The building occupied the entire block between West Campbell Street and Blythswood Street.
The original Christian Institute at 70 Bothwell Street was opened in 1880, financed by the Rutherglen chemical manufacturer and philanthropist James White. The architect was John McLeod. Other architects were responsible for the addition of the Bible Training Institute to the east, and the YMCA as the west wing in 1896, resulting in an incongruous mixture of styles.
During the 1970s the cost of maintaining the building became too high for the Glasgow United Evangelistic Association, who sold it to property developers. It was demolished and replaced by an office block.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bible Training Institute, Christian Institute, evangelists, Glasgow United Evangelistic Association, Gothic, pepperpot towers, postcards, YMCA, Young Men's Christian Association