King George V at Charles Connell & Co's shipyard at Scotstoun during a visit to Glasgow in September 1917. On his right is company chairman William Connell. A number of workmen with notable records of continuous service, in some cases of up to 40 years, were presented to the King.
One of the smaller shipbuilding yards on the Clyde, Connell built seven sloops for the Admiralty in the course of the war. No less important, in view of heavy British losses to German submarines, were the twenty-three merchant ships launched there.
Clyde shipbuilders made a huge contribution to the war effort, producing more ships than any other shipbuilding area in the country. The total tonnage of naval vessels built between 1914 and 1918 was 816,984; the output of merchant ships reached 1,556,877 tons.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f923.1 GEO/ANN
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Charles Connell & Co, First World War, merchant ships, River Clyde, Royal Navy, royal visits, shipbuilders, shipbuilding, shipyard workers, shipyards, warships