King George V, alongside Lord Provost Sir Thomas Dunlop, passing female munitions workers at Ibrox Park during a royal visit to Glasgow in September 1917.
Ibrox Park, with its capacity to hold 80,000 spectators, was chosen as a suitable venue for an open air public investiture by the monarch, the first time this had happened in Scotland since the Union of the Crowns in 1603. The stadium was packed with enthusiastic crowds, including an estimated 5,000 girls from munitions works.
Several knighthoods were conferred on local dignitaries. War medals were pinned on soldiers who had survived their feats of gallantry, with relatives collecting awards on behalf of those who had not. The highlight was the presentation of the Victoria Cross to three soldiers, one of whom appeared in an invalid chair.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f923.1 GEO/ANN
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
awards, British Army, First World War, football stadia, football stadiums, Ibrox Park, investitures, lord provosts, munitions workers, royal visits, Victoria Cross, women workers