This photograph shows units of the 5th Battalion, Highland Light Infantry, encamped near Berfylia in Palestine in November 1917.
The advance to Berfylia was part of a British offensive which followed the defeat of Turkish forces at Gaza. Jerusalem was captured in December.
The 5th Battalion was originally known as the 19th Lanark Rifle Volunteers, raised in 1859. In 1887 it became the 1st Volunteer Battalion Highland Light Infantry. In 1908 the Rifle Volunteers were reorganised as the Territorial Force, and became even more closely associated with the regular battalions.
The Territorials were mobilised on the outbreak of war in August 1914 and the 5th Battalion was sent to the Middle East. The Battalion took part in campaigns at Gallipoli and Palestine before being transferred to the Western Front in April 1918 where it remained until the Armistice in November.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 356.1 HIG
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
19th Lanark Rifle Volunteers, 1st Volunteer Battalion, 5th Battalion, Highland Light Infantry, British Army, First World War, Gallipoli, HLI, Palestine campaign, Territorial Force