Directors of Glasgow Chamber of Commerce are pictured with officers of the 17th Batallion, Highland Light Infantry at Troon in 1915. Everyone connected with the Chamber of Commerce followed the progress of the Battalion keenly.
The 17th Battalion left Glasgow for its first war training station at Gailes on 23 September 1914, moving to Troon on 13 October where they were billeted with local citizens. They remained at Troon until May 1915 when they set off for England, and undertook further training at various locations. In November 1915, the 17th Battalion embarked for France.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 356.1 HIG
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
17th Battalion, Highland Light Infantry, British Army, First World War, Glasgow Chamber of Commerce, HLI