Walter Macfarlane & Co supplied and erected an ornamental cast iron entrance gateway to Victoria Park, Whiteinch, as shown in this photograph taken c 1910. The gateway commemorates Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1887.
Built at a cost of £200, the gates were donated by the "Ladies of Partick" and feature the coat of arms of the Burgh of Partick. Originally erected for the main entrance in Balshagray Avenue, the gates had to be relocated to Victoria Park Drive North to make way for the approach roads to the Clyde Tunnel and expressway in the 1960s.
More than 400,000 visitors a year enjoy Victoria Park, which is popular with residents of Jordanhill, Whiteinch, and Scotstoun. The land was acquired by the Burgh of Partick and the park was formally opened by Partick's Provost Sir Andrew MacLean on 2 July 1887.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f672.2506541443 MCF
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
cast iron, Clyde Tunnel, coats of arms, entrances, foundries, gates, iron founders, ornamental ironwork, parks, Saracen Foundry, Victoria Park, Walter Macfarlane & Co