Walter Macfarlane & Co supplied the ornamental cast iron stair railing to the Grand Stair in St Andrew's Halls, as shown in this photograph c 1910. The firm advertised a wide range of straight and spiral stairs and stair balustrades.
St Andrew's Halls were built by private subscription to meet a perceived need for hall accommodation in the West End. The building opened in 1877 in Granville Street. As well as the Grand Hall, which initially accommodated 4,500, there were several lesser halls. The building was not a commercial success and was sold to the town council in 1890. It was used as a venue for a wide range of events including orchestral concerts, political meetings, recitals, operas, boxing matches and organisational gatherings. The halls were destroyed in a fire in 1962, and an extension to the Mitchell Library was subsequently built behind the old Granville Street facade.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f672.2506541443 MCF
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
balustrades, boxing matches, cast iron, concerts, foundries, Glasgow Corporation, halls, iron founders, Mitchell Library, operas, ornamental ironwork, recitals, Saracen foundry, St Andrew's Halls, stairs, Walter Macfarlane and Co