This photograph shows the Third Lanark team before the opening match of season 1948-1949, at Cathkin Park. The players are: Balunas, Orr, Petrie, Barclay, Kelly, Harrower; Staroscik, Mason, Stirling, Ayton, Mitchell.
Third Lanark was founded in 1872 by soldiers of the Third Lanark Rifle Volunteers. Their early games were played at the drill ground off Victoria Road, then at Old Cathkin Park in Govanhill, before they acquired the second Hampden Park in Mount Florida from Queen's Park and renamed it New Cathkin Park. In 1903-1904 the "Hi Hi" won the Scottish League Championship for the only time. They won the Scottish Cup twice, in seasons 1888-1889 and 1904-1905.
Third Lanark were relegated to the old Scottish Division Two in 1964-1965 and the club went into liquidation in 1967.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC 796.334630941443 THI/BEL
Reproduced by permission of Bert Bell and Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Cathkin Park, football, football teams, footballers, Hi Hi, New Cathkin Park, Scottish Cup, Scottish League Championship, Third Lanark AC, Third Lanark Rifle Volunteers