Crowds gathering outside Firhill Stadium, home of Partick Thistle FC, in April, 1958. The two-tier grandstand pictured here (built in 1927) is recognisable today, although other parts of the stadium have been transformed.
Partick Thistle FC was founded in the Burgh of Partick in 1876. Over the next thirty-three years the club played on several grounds, including one near the site on which the Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery was built; another which became the location of the Whiteinch tramway terminus; and one on the banks of the Clyde at Meadowside. After the latter was acquired in 1908 for D & W Henderson's shipyard, Thistle built a new stadium next to the Firhill Basin on the Forth & Clyde Canal, and began playing there at the start of the 1909-1910 season. The stadium has hosted an international match (Scotland v Ireland in 1928) and floodlights were installed in 1955.
Over the years, "The Jags" have acquired a reputation for unpredictable, sometimes eccentric football. The club's two major honours were both won against the odds. In 1921 the Scottish Cup came to Firhill after a 1-0 victory over Rangers in the final. An even greater shock came in 1971, when an all-conquering Celtic team was defeated 4-1 in the final of the Scottish League Cup.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
D & W Henderson, Firhill Basin, Firhill Stadium, football, football supporters, Forth & Clyde Canal, grandstands, Jags, Partick Thistle FC, police, Scottish Cup, Scottish League Cup, stadiums, stadia