This illustration shows the first membership card issued by Celtic FC, for season 1887-1888. It belonged to Dr. John Conway, the club's first honorary president.
Celtic were founded in 1887 as a charitable institution to assist the poor in Glasgow's East End. Brother Walfrid, a Marist Brother, was a driving force and is credited with the choice of name for the club. The first playing field was adjacent to Janefield Cemetery, in Parkhead. The present Celtic Park was opened in 1892, and hosted several international matches in its early years.
Celtic's first official game was a friendly in May 1888 against Rangers, which they won 5-2. They quickly became established as one of Scotland's leading clubs, attracting a large following, in particular from sections of the community with Irish connections. Along with Rangers, Celtic quickly came to dominate Scottish football, winning six seccessive league championships between 1904 and 1910 under manager Willie Maley.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Pat Woods Collection, Box 3
Reproduced with the permission of Eric Shannon and Pat Woods
Celtic Park, football, Glasgow Celtic FC, Janefield Cemetery, Marist Brothers, membership cards, Parkhead, Scottish League, stadia, stadiums