Hampden Park in Mount Florida in 1920. Hampden was the leading sports stadium in Scotland, hosting athletics meetings as well as football. In 1920 the licensed capacity of the ground was 125,000.
Queen's Park moved to the first Hampden Park, in Queen's Park Recreation Ground, in 1873. The ground was named for Hampden Terrace, which overlooked the site. In 1884 they moved to the second Hampden Park a few hundred yards to the east and then moved again in 1903, when they built the third Hampden Park. Third Lanark FC took possession of the second Hampden and renamed it Cathkin Park.
The third Hampden Park was opened in 1903 by Lord Provost Sir John Ure Primrose. Queen's Park defeated Celtic 1-0 in the first match. The new stadium’s original capacity was just over 44,500.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 796.334 QUE/ROB
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
athletics, football, Hampden Park, lord provosts, Queen's Park FC, stadia, stadiums