Not immediately recognisable as Rangers players, the team of season 1876-1877 was the first Rangers eleven to reach the final of the Scottish Cup.
Rangers Football Club was founded in 1872, playing their early games at Fleshers' Haugh on Glasgow Green. In 1875 the club moved briefly to Burnbank off Great Western Road and then in 1876 to Kinning Park, to the ground previously occupied by the Clydesdale Cricket Club, who moved to Titwood.
Rangers reached the final by way of victories over Queen's Park Juniors, Towerhill, Mauchline, Lennox and two byes, in the 3rd round and the semi-final. Their opponents were Vale of Leven, a more experienced team who had already made history by knocking out Queen's Park, winners of the trophy on every occasion so far.
The final and first replay were held at Hamilton Crescent, Partick, resulting in 0-0 and 1-1 draws. In the second replay, played at Hampden Park before massive (for the time) crowd of 8,000, Vale of Leven won 3-2.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 796.334 RAN/ALL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Clydesdale Club, football, footballers, Glasgow Rangers FC, Hamilton Crescent, Hampden Park, Queen's Park FC, Scottish Cup, stadia, stadiums, Vale of Leven FC