The second 6 inches to the mile Ordnance Survey map of Glasgow was published in 1896-1897, being a revision of the 1858 survey. This is the north-western section of the city, Lanarkshire Sheet VI NW. The area covered by this sheet is 6 miles east to west and four miles north to south. Contour lines are shown.
The dotted line is described as the county boundary, Glasgow having been raised to the status of County of the City of Glasgow in 1893. The south-western corner of this section is still outside the city, as Partick remained an independent burgh until 1912. An extension of the city boundary in 1891 brought Maryhill and Possilpark into the municipal area.
The extent to which residential development had spread westwards by 1897 can be seen, although there is still a substantial green belt between Hyndland and Jordanhill. Landmarks such as Maryhill Barracks, the University of Glasgow and the Royal Lunatic Asylum at Gartnavel are clearly shown.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow map drawers
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
city boundary, contours, maps, Maryhill Barracks, Ordnance Survey, Royal Lunatic Asylum, University of Glasgow