The second 6 inches to the mile Ordnance Survey map of Glasgow was published in 1896-1897, being a revision of the 1858 survey. This is the north-eastern section of the city, Lanarkshire Sheet VI NE. The area covered by this sheet is 6 miles east to west and 4 miles north to south. Contour lines are shown.
The dotted line is described as the county boundary, Glasgow having been raised to the status of County of the City of Glasgow in 1893. An extension of the city boundary in 1891 brought Springburn and Possilpark into the municipal area.
Industry dominates this section of Glasgow. Large manufacturing concerns such as the Saracen Foundry and Blochairn Iron Works are clearly shown. Railways are particularly prominent, with large areas being occupied by the Cowlairs Works of the North British Railway, the St Rollox Works of the Caledonian Railway and the Atlas Works of the North British Locomotive Co. The Barony Poorhouse is another notable site, well away from any major residential development.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow map drawers
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Atlas Works, Barony Poorhouse, Blochairn Iron Works, Caledonian Railway Co, city boundary, contours, Cowlairs Works, industries, maps, North British Locomotive Co, North British Railway Co, Ordnance Survey, poorhouses, railways, Saracen Foundry, St Rollox Works