This map, engraved by Robert Scott, appeared as the frontispiece to James Denholm's The History of the City of Glasgow and Suburbs, third edition, 1804 (an earlier version had appeared in the second edition of the book, published in 1798). It shows the expansion which had taken place at the beginning of the 18th century.
The map shows the beginnings of urban development on the south bank of the Clyde, with access improved by a new wooden bridge built in 1803 across the Clyde at the foot of the Saltmarket. On the north bank, further building has taken place around York Street. A new road is shown running west from Cowcaddens. Hutchesons' Hospital (1802) and Barony Church (1798) are significant additions to the public buildings, while the new Hunterian Museum (1804) is shown within the College Gardens at the University of Glasgow.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 DEN
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Barony Church, bridges, Hunterian Museum, Hutchesons' Hall, Hutchesons' Hospital, maps, University of Glasgow