John Anderson (1817-1892) was the founder of Glasgow's first department store.
Anderson came to Glasgow from Aberfeldy in 1835 and established a drapery store in Clyde Terrace two years later. In 1845 he introduced what he called "universal trading", selling a wide range of items including toys, books, medicines and drapery in different departments in his store. His low prices and wide range of goods proved popular and in 1859 he moved to the Polytechnic Hall (renaming his store as the Royal Polytechnic Warehouse)in Jamaica Street, and subsequently to new premises in Argyle Street. He retired from the business in 1891, leaving his sons in charge.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.04 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
department stores, drapers, drapery stores, Polytechnic Hall, Royal Polytechnic Warehouse, shops, universal trading, warehousemen