The Glasgow Garden Festival of 1988 was held around the site of the former Prince's Dock in Govan, on the south bank of the River Clyde. When opened in 1900, the dock had been the largest on the Clyde. The Garden Festival site covered 120 acres, including 17 of water, a relatively compact area.
Glasgow hosted the third Garden Festival in Britain, the previous ones having been held at Liverpool in 1984 and Stoke-on-Trent in 1986. The idea was to regenerate derelict industrial land. As with the Empire Exhibition fifty years earlier, it was hoped that the effect would be to give Glasgow's economy a boost, since the city had been badly hit by the decline of its traditional industries such as shipbuilding and engineering.
Glasgow Garden Festival 1988 Ltd., a subsidiary of the Scottish Development Agency, managed the event. Funding came from central government, local authorities and sponsorship from private companies. The site was leased from Laing Homes, a property development company which had previously acquired the land.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f607.3441443 GLA
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
docks, economic regeneration, exhibitions, festivals, gardens, Glasgow Garden Festival, Glasgow Garden Festival 1988 Ltd, Laing Homes, maps, plans, Prince's Dock, River Clyde, Scottish Development Agency, SDA